The AGTS-36 aerial gunnery target System is a complete system designed specifically for aircrew combat readiness training in air-to-air gunnery exercises.
Designated A/A37U-36 by the US air force, AGTS-36 consists of state-of-the-art equipment replacing the TDU-10B dart target and the interim A/A37U-33 (SECAPEM 90-B) to meet all modern fighter aerial gunnery training requirements.
With +6 g load capability, tow aircraft can be flown in racetrack, figure eight, butterfly and high-angle combat dart patterns.
AGTS-36 (A/A 37U-36) Equipment Elements
- Equipped with Cartwright Electronics RADOPS real-time scoring system
- Scoring results instantly communicated to "attacking" pilots
- Certified for use with F-4, F-5, F-15, and F-16 aircraft and compatible with all other aircraft offering similar clearances
- Two-way reeling system permits recovery and reuse of tow targets
- Installed without major modification of tow aircraft
- Redundant towline cutters
- Simplified support equipment and maintenance/turnaround procedures
- Qualified for worldwide use in accordance with US Military Specifications and Standards
- AGTS-36 is in volume production and is the standard gunnery target for the US air force and air national guard. The system is also adaptable to surface-to-air gunnery missions.
Target Configuration: String-sleeve visual augmenter with aluminum forebody provides all-aspect visual and radar acquisition.
- RMK-35/A37U-36 Reeling Machine/Launcher
- TDK-39/A37U-36 Tow Target
- Visual Augmenter Sleeve
- RADOPS® Scoring System
- Cockpit Control - Display
- Peculiar Support Equipment
- Depot Support Equipment
- Operational Characteristics
Target Deployment and Retrieval: Automatic functions initiated by simple commands from tow aircraft.
Captive Carriage: Up to 40,000 feet altitude, 0.9 Mach.
Target Deployment: 1,000 to 25,000 feet altitude, 250 KCAS
Target Employment: Up to 40,000 feet altitude, 0.9 Mach., 6g maneuvers
Target Recovery: Reel-in at 1,000 to 25,000 feet altitude, 230-250 KCAS.
Reusability: No down-loading required; replacement feature of visual augmenter permits quick system turnaround.
Scoring: Doppler radar system installed in forebody. Conical antenna pattern projected around target sleeve for scoring realism. Accuracy not affected by airspeed or altitude. Real-time scoring for shooters.
System design: Qualified to meet worldwide operational requirements per MIL-STD-810 (Environmental Test), MIL-STD-461 (EMI), and MIL-STD-882 (System Safety).
Integrated Logistics Support: Fully supported in US air force ILS system.
AGTS-36 is compatible with F-4, F-15 and F-16 aircraft without modification and is readily certifiable with other aircraft.
Tow targets are recovered by means of two-way, reel-out/reel-in feature of RMK-35.
Scoring system counts 20mm and 30mm projectiles and provides results in real time with each firing pass.
Operating life of the basic non-expendable hardware, i.e., RMK-35 Reeling machine/launcher, RADOPS airborne receiving station, and peculiar support equipment is a minimum of ten years with scheduled maintenance and without major overhaul.
Visual augmenter sleeves are expended at the completion of a mission.
Quick installation/removal feature of RMK-35 makes tow aircraft readily available for other assigned duties. Downloading is not required for system turnaround between missions.
Descriptions and characteristics given in this document may be subject to change without notice and shall not be considered as binding upon the company.